Gazi University Tömer started its educational facilities on 22nd February, 1994. Gazi University TÖMER Regulation has come into use on 20.04.2009 named as “Regulation about Activities Implementation and Control of Research and Application Centers connected to the Rectorate” which was recognized in the meeting (04.02.2009 dated & 1 numbered) of Our University Senate. Up to now, our centre has taught Turkish to more than four thousand graduate and post-graduate students and has enabled them to start their education at universities in our country. In addition, from 2010 our center organizes the courses such as Ottoman Turkish, except from Turkey Turkish, and English, French, Russian, Arabian, Persian and Chinese as foreign languages.
AIMS of the FOUNDATION
Centres are established according to 7th item of Higher Education Law, 06.11.1981 date and 2547 numbered. Our centre has the following aims:
– To teach Turkish , to open branches to advertise Turkey and Turkish culture , to teach Turkish to foreigners , Turkish children abroad and people willing to learn Turkish.
– To carry out mutual educational , instructional , research , practice and publication activities with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , Ministry of Education , the related units of universities and other public institutions within the framework of mutual agreements signed by the Turkish Government.
– To start courses for instructors and teachers assigned by the Ministry of Education and the related ministries to teach Turkish within the country and abroad; to provide training facilities, to prepare guides about the countries they will work in.
– To give rewards to the instructors and teachers within the country and abroad to encourage them to teach Turkish better and to advertise Turkey.
– To organize courses for students who come to our country with state scholarships from Turkish Republics within the framework of the Great Student Project; private students from Turkish communities and students from European, Asian, African and Middle East countries who wish to study in Turkey and foreigners who are in Turkey for trade-industry and diplomatic purposes.
FIELDS OF ACTIVITY
– To prepare programmes and develop methods on the instruction and teaching of Turkish as a mother language , to carry out coordinated activities on this with the related national and foreign institutions
– To carry out studies to develop language teaching methods used in the Turkish Language and Literature, and Philology departments at universities.
– To prepare films and videos and to publish books and booklets that advertise Turkey and teach Turkish with the collaboration of the Ministry of Tourism , the Ministry of Culture and TRT.
– To provide vocational practice courses for the graduates and senior students of Turkish Language and Literature Departments.
– To carry out comparative studies between Turkish and other foreign languages to make Turkish language teaching more productive.
– To carry out research and practice on language teaching methods.
– To organize short adaptation courses for Turkish children living abroad so that they can learn Turkish better.
– To do translations in various languages and to have interactions with state institutions about this.
– To organize Turkish courses within the framework of Campus Europae and Erasmus programs.
Gazi University Tömer Turkish Courses- Educational Aıms And Achievements
Gazi University TÖMER organizes Turkish courses in line with the teaching objectives and attainments given by leveling in the European Common Application Text. Teaching, assessment and evaluation processes are carried out in accordance with these objectives and gains in the materials used in the courses and in the exams. The afore mentioned target behaviors/ gains can be accessed from the below extension.
TEACHING METHOD AND ITS PROCESS
Turkish Language Learning Application and Research Center (TÖMER) of Gazi University is a well-established institution operating in the field of teaching Turkish as a foreign language. Taking important steps towards making the field of teaching Turkish as a foreign language as an academic discipline, supporting and hosting many scientific researches, our Center also has taught Turkish to many students so far.
Our corporate principles in teaching Turkish as a foreign language are as follows:
- At TÖMER of Gazi University, a skill-based language teaching approach is applied. In this regard, TÖMER organizes courses on reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. Teaching of structure is carried out with an impulsive approach in the lessons where skills are taught interactively.
- At TÖMER of Gazi University, a thematic teaching approach is prevailed.The course materials used during the course consist of themes based on the phonetic characteristics of Turkish, the necessity of the subjects in daily life and their relations with each other. Thus, while the trainees learn the words and concepts related to each other together, they first learn the words and patterns that are most necessary for them in daily life.
- At TÖMER of Gazi University, measurement-evaluation processes are run before, during and at the end of the training.Students who start the process with the placement test are taken to the exams at the end of each level. Level classes are renewed according to these exams. Transitions between level classes can be made according to the exam results. At the end of the process, students are taken to C1 exam to be certified.
- At TÖMER of Gazi University, language teaching is carried out through making use of technological facilities.International students at Tömer are offered course materials specially developed for them and enriched with technical possibilities such as Z books, computers, and projection devices, the original productions of experienced lecturers.
- At TÖMER of Gazi University, Turkish academic courses are organized for undergraduate and graduate students whose education in Turkey. Academic Turkish materials which prepared by TÖMER of Gazi University expert teams with the first of its kind in Turkey are used in these courses where international students can be attended by Gazi University C1 certification.
- At TÖMER of Gazi University, teaching and measurement-evaluation processes can also be carried out remotely.Our online courses and exams are accessible from all over the world for anyone with internet and computer access.